I think we can all agree Snickers bars are one of the finest candy bars out there. Everyone loves them, so serving them at your parties is a no-brainer. But, it being the holidays and all, perhaps you want to dress them up a bit by making them at home, with top notch ingredients.
These are easy, and they really do make everyone smile. You can sub cashews or almonds for the peanuts, use an alt-butter in place of peanut butter, you can make them with dark or white chocolate, whatever gives them that little extra sparkle for you.
Yes you are going to make your own nougat, the fragrance of this alone is worth the effort. Just dreamy. You'll spread your nougat evenly over your bottom layer of chilled and hardened chocolate. When I was little I used to make these with my mom and I have always liked eating them cold. Here are some peanuts swimming in caramel. Spread evenly over the bottom two layers of chocolate and your nougat. You'll want a nice, even presentation so you should trim those edges and then eat said edges yourself. Just look at them. Gift-worthy, dessert-able and decidedly fun to make. Happy Holidays everyone!
Homemade Snickers Bars of Glory
Makes 9”x 13” pan.
2 1/2 cups milk (or dark) chocolate chips
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (or almond butter, cashew butter, etc)
1/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups marshmallow crème (1 – 7 oz. container)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups salted peanuts (or almonds or cashews or…), roughly chopped
1 pound Annie B’s baking caramel (1 block)
1/4 cup heavy cream
- Prepare 9” x 13” pan by lining with parchment paper.
- In heavy saucepan, melt together 1 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter. Pour into prepared pan, spread into an even layer. Chill until set while preparing next layer.
- In separate saucepan, bring 1/4 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup evaporated milk to a boil over medium low heat. Watch carefully for scorching. If mixture begins to scorch, lower heat immediately. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir marshmallow cream, 1/4 cup peanut butter, and vanilla into the butter/sugar mixture. Pour and spread evenly over the first layer. Chill.
- Melt caramel and whipping cream until smooth either in heavy saucepan over low heat or in microwave at half power in 30 second increments, stirring frequently. Stir in peanuts. Pour and spread evenly over second layer. Chill.
- Melt together 1 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons peanut butter until smooth. Pour and spread over top of the third layer in the pan. Chill.
- Remove from pan by lifting edges of parchment paper. Cut into squares. Serve. Store in refrigerator.
Optional step: For individual candy bars, skip steps 2 and 6 above. Cut nougat and caramel layers into bars and dip into 2 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips and 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter that have been melted together.
Recipe & Photography by Jill May