Yes, Thanksgiving is coming up but you are probably already totally prepared for that, so instead let's plan for the cocktail party you're hosting between now and Christmas. You can and should build a party around this triumphant cracker topper.
Requiring just a few ingredients and a super-easy assembly, this is a festive showstopper to set alongside your crudités and party bites.
If your wheel of brie is on the larger side, you may have to roll out your pastry crust. A 13-17 ounce wheel of brie works great. Leave the rind intact. Just a gratuitous melted caramel shot. Combine melted caramel with pecans and Kahlua, and mount atop your brie. Carefully wrap pastry around the wheel, pleating as you go. Brush all sides and top with egg wash. Bake for 20-30 minutes until pastry is golden and lovely. Let it rest for about 10 minutes, lest you are attacked by a rushing river of molten brie. Serve with crackers. Carr's Water Crackers have a nice neutral flavor, or if you feel like getting all domestic, here's a nice recipe for homemade butter crackers.
Caramel Pecan Baked Brie with Kahlua
Makes 1 baked (and spiked) brie.
1 refrigerated 9” pastry crust
1 – 13 to 17 ounce brie wheel
4 ounces Annie B’s baking caramel (1/4 block)
3 to 4 tablespoons Kahlua liqueur
1 cup pecans
1 tablespoon water
- Leave pastry crust at room temperature until it unrolls easily.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- Depending on size of Brie wheel, you may need to roll pastry crust to a larger size. Roll from the center out so that crust is large enough to meet in the center when folded around cheese wheel.
- Place pastry on prepared pan. Place unwrapped Brie wheel in center of pastry.
- Melt caramel in the microwave in 15 second increments until melted and smooth. Stir in Kahlua until well combined. Fold in pecans. Spread on top of cheese wheel.
- Bring up pastry over the top of the cheese wheel, pleating crust as you go.
- Beat egg and water in small bowl. Brush surface and sides with egg wash.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until pastry is golden brown. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Transfer to serving dish or platter and serve warm with mild flavored crackers.
Recipe and Photography by Jill May.
Recipe inspired by Noble Pig.
One more thing, if you are looking for an even easier centerpiece for Thanksgiving or you upcoming holiday gatherings, check out our selected gifts. Annie B's merged with B.T. McElrath Chocolatier in October, so we are now also proudly offering delicious chocolate truffles, bites and bars. Click here to shop caramels & popcorn, click here to shop chocolates. XO